Thursday, May 1, 2014

Childhood obesity

Childhood obesity crisis

For as long as I can remember I was an overweight kid, until recently. I would get so mad at people when the called me fat, I would come up with excuses like "I'm just big boned." The stigma around being fat didn't help either, since people really aren't supposed to say that you are fat. They also come up with these describing sentences meant to boost self esteem.

Eventually sophomore year, I believe, I was in the 90th percentile for my bmi and I had high cholesterol, but it didn't bother me too much because I thought I was mostly muscle (I was really mostly fat). Last year I really started caring about my health so I changed how I ate and grew a couple inches and now I'm in a healthy bmi range.

There have been multiple cases in the news that children are extremely overweight. There is this one girl that is 210 lbs (U.S. News) and she is only ten years old. I truly consider this child abuse, and parents should be reprimanded. The parents are killing this child slowly.

Studies show that children that are overweight are more likely to stay this way for the rest of their lives.

"Half of the obese kindergartners were obese when they were in eighth grade, and nearly three-quarters of the very obese kindergartners were obese in eighth grade.(nytimes)"
I think this is a problem, I had an awful time being fat, and I don't want other children to have to experience it and this can be combatted in multiple ways.

Children generally don't cook for themselves and eat what is prepared for them. Also they snack on whatever you have in the pantry. Therefore you should have healthy food for snacks, and prepare healthier meals. Even if you work long hours, you could possibly prepare something the day before.

And if your child is already obese, or very overweight I believe the best thing for them is some tough love and a little exercise.

On the subject of exercise I think that schools should require each student to participate in at least one sport per year.

Overall this subject is near and dear to my heart and I really hate seeing kids struggle throughout their whole lives because of some bad decisions that they really didn't have a say in.

The assignment was to write an editorial piece about something that you think is a problem in the world. I chose this piece because I felt that it was much stronger than my valentines day article. The one weakness that I can think of in this piece is that there Is a lack in scientific/medical sources. The first strength in this piece is that I use my own experience with being fat so it's a first person view. Another strength is that I have some good vocabulary use.

No comments:

Post a Comment